History and Mission
Why Woods Matter
Fort Stanton Park
Oxon Run Parkway
Congress Park Woods
George Washington Carver Trail
Fort Circle Park Hiker-Biker Trail
Proposed Shepherd Parkway Trail
Proposed Suitland Parkway Trail
Ward 8 Woods engages residents and visitors in uniquely satisfying volunteer experiences. Most volunteers work in the woods removing trash and cutting invasive vines. If you like to be physically active, spend time in nature, and immediately see the results of your work, you might enjoy working with us.
The simplest way to get involved is to attend one of our regularly scheduled public events.
Ft. Stanton Park Volunteer Day
Every first Saturday of the month from 10:30 to 1 pm
- Meet at Ft. Stanton Recreation Center, 1812 Erie Street SE, WDC 20020
Shepherd Parkway Community Clean-Up
Every second Saturday of the month from 10:30 to 1
- Meet at 555 Newcomb Street SE, WDC 20032
Do you live or work near a wooded area in Ward 8? We provide free supplies and support to volunteers who commit to regularly monitoring and cleaning their area. Complete the interest form to get started.
More volunteer options
Contact Keith Jones if you are interested in:
- Working alongside our Park Steward crew on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Bringing a school, college, church, or office group at a date and time of your choosing
- Requesting a sign to display on your property (Ward 8 residents and business owners only)
- Planning an Eagle Scout project or other joint projects
- Assisting with research
© 2023 Ward 8 Woods Conservancy. All Rights Reserved.